I had written this in March 2010 when I was on a Delhi--Mumbai flight attending an event organized at the Indian Institute of Technology to talk about the relationship shared between sports and entertainment. I was relieved and nervous to learn that I was invited to speak at the event. I agree that my sport badminton does not enjoy the popularity that cricket or tennis and I've never had an audience of screaming fans with the Indian tri-colour painted on their faces.
I was happy that such platforms are now being celebrated in the land where awards have been so far reserved only for Bollywood. Is it the beginning new era? When I make it to the Rajiv Gandhi Awards or the Khel Ratna Awards list, I know I will have crossed a barrier and my efforts recognized. With this opportunity at the IIT, I hope it will throw light on the much needed awareness and sponsorships from corporates.
What does power really mean? To me, power would simply mean more responsibilities! Power requires commitment! Power requires that you do more than just go home and dust trophies on the mantelpiece. It's hard enough to stand up and be responsible towards yourself, let alone being the lone ranger for others who depend on you to make a difference in their journey! I guess someone's got to do it and I hope that the glory enables me to influence the REAL POWERS THAT BE!
As a student of Psychology, I have always had a deep interest in the study of people. It's another story that I had to give it up when I realised that playing badminton with emotional issues wouldn't encourage them to come back to me! However, it's fascinating to observe different people reacting in different ways to power. Some like me prefer to be in constant denial; some feel better about themselves who react in a typically "see-I-got-it" way and some become arrogant with a stern "do-you-know-who-I-am?" and some hate it and get dragged into it unwillingly; and most love it!
An aunt put it really well a few weeks ago, "The true character of a person is judged on not how he or she reacts in a situation of adversity or challenges but how he or she handles power."
Above all, power brings in opportunities. The question is whether we use them or no for our own selfish reason or whether we choose to spread some joy depending on the person. Another apt quote would be, "Judge a person not by how he treats his equals but by how he treats his subordinates". Loved your take on the issue.
ReplyDeleteYes power comes with great responsibilities, if youre not responsible enough power can turn fatal...thats how human nature has been engineered!
ReplyDeleteGood post Anuradha!and congrats for all your awards..badminton is a great sport, Im sure you'd rise high in it...
We blog friends are you addience, imagine us with our faces painted ..cheering for you :)
All the very best!!!